The wsadmin program is a scripting engine for performing administrative tasks on an application server or its configuration. It can execute individual commands as well as in interactive fashion , or it can execute script file.
The way wsadmin program is executed is dependent on the Operating system being used. The examples below shows how wsadmin program is executed in Windows and Unix environment.The ./ before the name of the file to be executed on a Unix environment is an indication that the specified file is located in the current directory.
• AIX —wsadmin.sh
• Linux —wsadmin.sh
Where is wsadmin located :-
In case of standalone application server, wsadmin is located at WAS_HOME
In ND application server, wsadmin.sh is located both at WAS_HOME
Launching of wsadmin :-
Here I will be explaining and showing launching of wsadmin in ND environment on Unix Operating System.Basically in ND environment, best practice is to launch wsadmin from Deployment profile.We can launch wsadmin from
The way we launch wsadmin also depends upon whether Websphere have security turned on or not.
1. If Global security is not turned on, it is launched just by executing ./wsadmin.sh command as shown below in screenshot.
2. If Global security is turned on, then we will have to pass user name and password to connect to wsadmin program and options we need to pass is described below and shown below in screenshot.
3. If Global security is turned on and we don't want to pass user and password every time we execute wsadmin.So, for that , we need to update 3 properties in soap.client.props located at
1. Update "com.ibm.SOAP.securityEnabled" to value as true.
2. Update "com.ibm.SOAP.loginUserid" with websphere admin user.
3. Update "com.ibm.SOAP.loginPassword" with websphere admin password.
You don't have to bounce Deployment manager to have this take affect,you can do this on the fly , whether you want to enable this functionality or disable this functionality after enabling.
Below screenshot shows the location of soap.client.props
Below it shows the properties with updated values
Below screenshot shows, after updating this we don't have to pass user name and password with we are executing wsadmin , with global security on in websphere.
This concludes the first part of wsadmin,Second part to follow soon. Keep yours eyes open and check the blog with other updates also. Please comment and let me know where do I need to improve when I am explaining as I want to explain everything in as easy way as it can be and if you like this port it then please share it on facebook or twitter.